Monday 24 June 2013

PCG Member Focus! - Styles of Sonia



PCG Member Focus!
Meet Member No: 141111163
Sonia from Styles of Sonia Pte Ltd / Twinkle, Sparkle & Tinsel Me Now 

About Me, Sonia Subash .

I co-founded Styles of Sonia with my husband, Fabian which to date, carries a jewellery design line called Twinkle, Sparkle & Tinsel Me Now.

The name Twinkle, Sparkle & Tinsel Me Now represents the twinkle and sparkle of crystals in all its glory whereas tinsel represents the material of metal that accompanies its outshining partner. 

The name was given with an aim to provide that magical feeling for the person who wears it. It all happened a couple of years ago when I wanted to buy a pair of shoes for my sister to wear on her wedding day and I just could not find one pair that sparkled like a pair a princess would wear. And so I just went ahead and purchased a pair of silver sandals and stitched on about 250 Swarovski crystal bicones onto it. The result was exactly what I wanted it to be and she loved it. Needless to say, she looked just like a princess in those shoes!! It was during this time that I realized how much I loved working with the crystals and I then began to explore and learn more about making jewellery pieces with the crystals ... Slowly; I taught myself wire wrapping and beading and then incorporated these techniques into my designs.

 This is the magic pair of shoes that took me to my magical world of Twinkle, Sparkle & Tinsel Me Now!
I design my jewelry based on what I would love to wear, with the colors that bring out a smile in my face every single time I look at each piece. I use crystals, mainly Swarovski crystals and oriental crystals. Slowly, I have learnt to introduce other semi-precious stones and materials to the mix, for example turquoise and CD pieces. As a Malaysian, I am inspired by Indian, Chinese and Malay fashion as well as the beautiful tropical forests that are so rich in color.

And as I made more pieces, I started receiving orders which then prompted me to turn my passion into a profession. Like my son would say, “Having skills that pay the bills!”
I taught myself how to create a website using Blogger, I have met so many people and I just love where all this has brought me to so far.

These past two years, being able to do this has made me a very happy person. I would encourage anyone with a passion for any craft to just keep doing what makes you happy, as much as you can.

I also have a collection of jewellery made from used compact discs. It is my way of trying to do something for the environment. The more pieces I up-cycle, the less pieces are being thrown away into the ground. 


 
 
So far, my designs have been featured in numerous magazines as well as the local newspapers. We have also been honoured with being able to sponsor the VIMA Music Awards, 2 years in a row now. 

I am also a proud member of the Professional Crafter’s Guild UK and the Arts and Crafts Guild KL Malaysia.





For more information on me and my designs, please do visit my website at www.stylesofsonia.com 
and my Facebook Page www.facebook.com/soniaashleycollections
If you have a Twitter account, then please follow me at Twitter.com/StylesOfSonia








No comments:

Post a Comment